The process of designing my blog to fit the very specific needs of my creative mind, has been- a little less than satisfying. With the limitations of not being able to code- and therefore being confined to the customization limitations of a theme- my blog has so far not reflected the messages that I would like to get across. That being said, I should give myself some slack- being a full time student and a full time employee, I have put in the hours to understand WordPress basics. Now I just need to work on fine-tuning. Ever since taking this class, i’ve been a lot more thoughtful when looking at blogs and websites I visit everyday. In the blog, A Beautiful Mess (DIY, fashion, food, advice, etc.) I have taken much inspiration from their beautiful layout. Simple, yet colourful, on a clean white background with lots of little details!
- interactive tabs; the buttons change colour to insinuate interactivity with the viewer.
- clean white background with splashes of bright colours to accent.
- many tags to organize the very large amount of content that they have, making it easy for the viewer to find what they are looking for
- They provide a simplified view with big pictures to get the viewers attention, but also provide the option for different types of blog views, for those who wish to skip the “read more” tab and read the posts in their entirety
- Easy on the eyes, not too many pop-ups! (none at all)
What doesn’t work:
- It would be nice to have a related posts navigation under blog posts
- On mobile view:
- too many links
- too much text
- not very mobile friendly
- the content on the blog isn’t the fastest at loading because there is so much to load towards the bottom